an After abortion

REAL, CONFIDENTIAL, FREE, NON-JUDGMENTAL HELP TO AVOID ABORTION, FROM MANY PLACES:
3,400 confidential and totally free groups to call and go to in the U.S...1,400 outside the U.S. . . . 98 of these in Canada.
Free, financial help given to women and families in need.More help given to women, families.
Helping with mortgage payments and more.More help.
The $1,950 need has been met!CPCs help women with groceries, clothing, cribs, "safe haven" places.
Help for those whose babies haveDown Syndrome and Other Birth Defects.
CALL 1-888-510-BABY or click on the picture on the left, if you gave birth or are about to and can't care for your baby, to give your baby to a worker at a nearby hospital (some states also include police stations or fire stations), NO QUESTIONS ASKED. YOU WON'T GET IN ANY TROUBLE or even have to tell your name; Safehaven people will help the baby be adopted and cared for.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

"At the gate she turned and looked across to Ben's grave. The air was iron cold and still. She would never, never, never be able to accept his death, and she didn't try. This wasn't an illness she would recover from; it was an amputation she had to learn to live with. There was a great and surprising peace in acknowledging this."
--Pat Barker, Double Vision

I found this on Eve Tushnet's blog.

When I had my abortion, I was looking for a quick fix. When I entered into a program for recovery after abortion, I was also, on some level, looking for a quick fix. (In a sense...in another sense, I was simply looking for any relief at all from pain that was becoming impossible to live with.) I did experience enormous relief from my immediate psychological distress, and many parts of my soul healed in ways I will never understand, through attending Rachel's Vineyard.

Over the years, I've come to appreciate that there are no quick fixes--there's no quick fix for an unwanted pregnancy--and there's no quick fix for the emotional devastation I experienced in the wake of abortion. Not only is there no quick fix, in the sense of the quote above, there's no fix. And just this week, before I found this quote on Eve's site, I started to feel the permanence of the loss in a new way. And, also, a surprising peace.

"Jesus did not come to take away your pain. He came to live with you in it."--Paul Claudel

0 comment(s): (ANONYMOUS ok -but mind our rules, please)                                      << HOME