an After abortion

REAL, CONFIDENTIAL, FREE, NON-JUDGMENTAL HELP TO AVOID ABORTION, FROM MANY PLACES:
3,400 confidential and totally free groups to call and go to in the U.S...1,400 outside the U.S. . . . 98 of these in Canada.
Free, financial help given to women and families in need.More help given to women, families.
Helping with mortgage payments and more.More help.
The $1,950 need has been met!CPCs help women with groceries, clothing, cribs, "safe haven" places.
Help for those whose babies haveDown Syndrome and Other Birth Defects.
CALL 1-888-510-BABY or click on the picture on the left, if you gave birth or are about to and can't care for your baby, to give your baby to a worker at a nearby hospital (some states also include police stations or fire stations), NO QUESTIONS ASKED. YOU WON'T GET IN ANY TROUBLE or even have to tell your name; Safehaven people will help the baby be adopted and cared for.

Friday, October 14, 2005

I'm sure that Emily has blogged about this before, but Susan Swander is a post-abortive friend of ours who started an email group, HealingVoices, for post-abortive women, especially those who have already begun the healing process, to share their thoughts and feelings or just read others' and just not feel so alone. Susan wrote,
One of the things that I’ve discovered is that not everyone is in the same place about sharing their stories. There are some folks that are struggling with the decision to tell family and friends and to speak out.

Rather than share about my "speaking out" struggles on the email group Companions On the Journey list (to which I also belong: another absolutely wonderful part of my healing journey), I decided to start the HealingVoices email group (with some prompting from my friend, Leslie Graves). [UPDATE from Susan: "The email group Oaktrees mentioned here was re-named Companions On the Journey. The link that was given with the Oaktrees reference is actually for the RV Oaktrees email that goes out to post-retreat people. That's why we changed the name to COTJ - to avoid that confusion."]

This HealingVoices e-group is intended to be for ALL of us who are choosing to speak out about our abortions and our healing. This e-group will hopefully be a way that we can start to connect with and encourage each other.

On the suggestion of Leslie and some other friends, I am writing to invite you to join this email group to share with us. If you are interested, just send me an email at susan@alseariver.com and I will add you to the group.
Susan's recent experiences on Oct. 2 (Respect Life Sunday) touched me, and I thought it valuable to share with our readers, with Susan's permission:
I spoke briefly at all 4 of my parishes Masses. I also attended all 4 Masses, which is a record for me. It was amazing to participate in 4 Masses in 24 hours.

My priest introduced me by saying, "Now we'll hear some reflections on one aspect of Life." What a lovely introduction; I really like the word "reflections". He also gave a great homily on Life - very tough and honest.

Although I didn't go into a lot of detail, I did identify as being a post abortion mother who is healing from post-abortion syndrome (PAS). I asked everyone to pray for all those affected by abortion. During my talk, I knew God was with me and I knew my 4 kids were there with me, too. I could feel them all supporting and loving me.

My talk was very well received. I saw lots of kleenex come out. I had people hug me, thank me & tell me that they had never thought about the effect of abortion on the mother, father, families, etc. I had one woman tell me that her sister had an abortion 15 years ago, but they've never talked about it, and another one said that her family has been "touched" by abortion, but they've never dealt with it. I gave both ladies a Rachel's Vineyard pamphlet and the pamphlet that my buddy Suzie & I put together. Another woman asked me for the pamphlets but wouldn't look me in the eyes; I knew they were for her. I wanted to just grab her, hug her & tell her to go to a retreat - that there is healing. But she was so withdrawn and scared, I didn't. My prayers go with her.

So, all in all, it was a remarkable experience. And, then after the 12:30 Mass, we had a Life Chain on the main street of town. It was well-attended and the rain held off after one heavy spritz at the start. I carried my "I Regret My Abortion" sign. We got lots of honks & thumbs up, along with a few "middle fingers" and thumbs down. At least we were noticed!!!

So, all in all, it was a terrific Sunday. Thank you God.

Blessings to all,

Susan Swander
Oregon

0 comment(s): (ANONYMOUS ok -but mind our rules, please)                                      << HOME